Wednesday 24 February 2010

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

My media product uses most forms and conventions of a real magazine such as the use of images.
The images I have used follow the forms and conventions of a real music magazine because I have one image that I use as a background (the picture is also of the feature band) which all music magazines do. I also used smaller pictures around the edges of media product to make my cover more chaotic to fit my stereotypical view of my target audience, this is a proven method of attracting people to a magazine as magazines such as Kerrang and NME (which are both very popular music magazines and have the same target audience as my media product) use this method and their sales are very high.
However my main image challenges the forms and conventions of a typical music magazine. It challenges them because I have taken a horizontal picture, rotated it and turned it portrait and used it as my background image. This is because I wanted my image to fit my mock picture of a band during a live performance , this picture consisted of the lead singer bent over slightly signing a high note loudly into a microphone. I tried to recreate this image, by using a model who looked similar to the singer and the best way to recreate this image was to have my model stood ‘singing’ into the microphone with her hair pushed forward looking like she is bent over hanging over the stage. But as a horizontal image it didn’t fit the page and didn’t look realistic. So when I made my edits of this picture it challenged the forms and conventions. The same picture still challenges forms and conventions of a typical music magazine because most magazine used studio produce pictures, however I chose to use a ‘live performance’ picture as they proved to be a popular choice in my questionnaire.
Also my use of colour challenges the forms and conventions of a typical music magazine because the colours are very vibrant and very eye catching, whereas most magazines use nude and or pale colours for the photos and use the colour of the text to do the eye catching. I decided to change this because it will draw the fans of the band toward the magazine as well as other people because it’s a contrast to most magazines which makes my media product stand out against all the other magazines. I also challenge the forms and conventions again by using more than one or two colours for my colour scheme. Most magazines only use one or two colours as not to draw away to much from the images and over power the magazine; however my magazine uses 3 or 4 colours. This is because at the beginning of creating my media product the 1st draft was very feminine (which my research is basis towards) because there was lots of pinks and purples. When looking through my research I noticed that pinks and purples were in fact not the most popular choice (despite actually being picked and proven to be liked) so I added in blues black greys and white. This also drew away from the feminine aspect bit and made my media product look more like a unisex targeted magazine. I considered this as a positive change because this creates a wider audience and would increase the amount of people buying my product therefore making my product more popular.
The fonts (size, colours and style) follow the forms and conventions of a music magazine because they differ in size depending on the importance of the text or what is advertising. For example on my products front cover I use a large eye-catching font size in order to emphasis my main article ‘The Rise Of Paramore’ and a small font size to advertise sub articles ‘Latest Tours and Reviews’. The colours of my font change in order to be more visible and easier to read (this is a method used throughout my media product) all, if not most, magazines do this. This helps the reader read through the magazine with ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment